12/17/17 at 10:21:26

Home Help Search Login Register

Big Star Reference Discussion Boards
   General
   Big Star General Board
   Big Star / Chris Bell News!
(Moderators: BSR Admin, Rhett)
Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Print 
   Author  Topic: Big Star / Chris Bell News!  (Read 7485 times)
 rocdoc
 BSR Member

View ProfileE-Mail
Big Star / Chris Bell News!
( on: 01/28/09 at 16:49:49)
Reply with quote Modify message

Howdy fellow Big Star fans ~ I just finished reading Rob Jovanovic's fantastic book titled "Rock's Forgotten Band".  I forwarded two questions to Rob who was gracious enough to reply.  I thought I'd share with everyone my enquiries followed by his replies >

1.  I find it astonishing that Alex Chilton did not/has not/will not receive any royalties from the Bangles' cover of "September Gurls" {or apparently any other songs penned for Big Star}.  Any insight, e.g., did he sign away his publishing rights back in the 1970's?

2.  As I read through the Discography I noticed there have been no DVDs released.....not even one of those trendy rock reviewer analysis/overview of the band.  I was likewise intrigued to read that Andy Hummel filmed the recording of "#1 Record" for a college course and that the 19 May 1974 {Overton Band Shell in Memphis ~ a CD of which has been issued} was also filmed for posterity.  Did your research give you any insight/expectation these priceless documents may one day be available to Big Star admirers?

hi bill

thanks for taking the time to write, glad you liked the book.

to briefly answer your 2 questions-

1. yes he signed the rights away, it was pretty complicated but i 'think' it was partly
to cover later studio costs that he incurred.

2. there is a big star box set being assembled which may include some DVD material
and also a deluxe re-issue of i am the cosmos

no one has been able to find a copy of the 1974 gig, but i'm assured it was filmed

as a side note, the film rights to my book have been sold and work could start on the
big star movie this year

all the best
rob

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
Re: Big Star / Chris Bell News!
(Reply #1 on: 01/28/09 at 18:44:37)

interesting about Chilton giving up his "rights".

We knew about the box set thing - that's with Rhino.

It would be great to find that film! Although it could be in bad shape by now if someone threw it in a box and put it on a shelf in a garage or basement.

The film rights thing to Rob's book have been a done deal since like 2005 (roughly). Scott Edmund Lane had a script going for it.

The script read like a "novelization" of the Big Star story. There were some liberties taken in the story - I liked what I saw but then Scott vanished and/or the project is no longer his - who has the ball now?

Every night I tell myself "I am the cosmos"..., am I weird or what?

rocdoc
 BSR Member

View ProfileE-Mail
Big Star movie update
(Reply #2 on: 03/17/09 at 18:20:24)

Rhett/everyone >

The attached note rec'd from Rob Jovanovic 3/17/09 >>>>>>

the movie project was taken over by a new company
and they have now purchased the film rights in full
rather than maintianing an option on them,
i know they have been talking to writers regarding getting a script ready, but have no idea about any actual production schedule.

despite being the writer of the book i'm pretty much kept out of the loop, but will let you know when i hear more

RJ

on 01/28/09 at 18:44:37, Rhett wrote:
interesting about Chilton giving up his "rights".

We knew about the box set thing - that's with Rhino.

It would be great to find that film! Although it could be in bad shape by now if someone threw it in a box and put it on a shelf in a garage or basement.

The film rights thing to Rob's book have been a done deal since like 2005 (roughly). Scott Edmund Lane had a script going for it.

The script read like a "novelization" of the Big Star story. There were some liberties taken in the story - I liked what I saw but then Scott vanished and/or the project is no longer his - who has the ball now?
read quoted post

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
(Reply #3 on: 03/19/09 at 15:13:36)

thanks doc for the update - sounds like the thing is in a suspended limbo....

John_Fry
 BSR Member

View Profile
(Reply #4 on: 03/23/09 at 21:06:33)

I think I may be able to help with your question.

1. Alex did not "sign over" anything. He receives, and has always received his songwiter royalties.Our company, Ardent Music represents him as a publisher for many of his compositions. With regard to the two Stax disrtibuted albums (#1 Record and Radio City), we are co-publishers with Universal?Rondor Music.

2. It is true that Alex would not have received royalties for the Bangels recording of September Gurls by the time the Bangles ran into him. It sometimes takes 12 months or more for royalties to be paid by the label and work their way through the accounting systems, but they do eventually arrive. Alex received substantisl mechanical royalties from this recording. I see all the statements and the checks, and that goes back to the 70s after publishing was reorganized following the Stax bankruptcy.

3. We continue to represent and work Alex's (and Chris' and Andy's and Jody's) songs with aggressive efforts to place material for film, TV, and cover versions. (That 70s Show worked out pretty well.) We, Universal, and Chrysalis collect worldwide mechanical, public performance and sync royalties. Alex gets writer statements and payments every 6 months and has since the 70s.

On a lighter note, in the 80s I received a letter from ASCAP asking me to advise them of Alex's date of death. I replied that he was alive and well and they sent his pubic performance royalties to his New Orleans address.

Please let me know if I can be of further help. I may not visit this forum frequently, so email me at jfry@ardentrecords.com if I can help with serious questions. I'm still working at Ardent every day, so please don't load me up with speculative ones.

Thanks to all who love the music. I enjoyed recording and mixing it more than anything in my rather over-long career.

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
(Reply #5 on: 03/24/09 at 13:53:36)

Thank you for the info Mr. Fry!

Thom_Starzer
 BSR Member

View ProfileE-Mail
(Reply #6 on: 04/26/09 at 13:17:56)

Well, I need to get that book- Please provide a link? Thanks..
BTW, what a miracle it would be to see ANY footage of the boys back in the day! True Pop Pioneers in an era when it was unfashionable to be so "anachronistic"...It has always sounded "melodious to my ears"

I finally have discovered "I am the Cosmos" and I AM convinced that Chris Bell was a tortured genius. Too sad to think of him for too long-
I just love the album.
New here and very glad to find this place - Thanks!

"Thommo"

p.s. When will we see the box set? What label is slated to be on?

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
(Reply #7 on: 04/27/09 at 19:21:55)

on 04/26/09 at 13:17:56, Thom_Starzer wrote:
Well, I need to get that book- Please provide a link? Thanks..
BTW, what a miracle it would be to see ANY footage of the boys back in the day! True Pop Pioneers in an era when it was unfashionable to be so "anachronistic"...It has always sounded "melodious to my ears"

I finally have discovered "I am the Cosmos" and I AM convinced that Chris Bell was a tortured genius. Too sad to think of him for too long-
I just love the album.
New here and very glad to find this place - Thanks!

"Thommo"

p.s. When will we see the box set? What label is slated to be on?
read quoted post

welcome to the board.
amazon.com has the book - look here: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Star-Painful-Unexpected-Resurrection/dp/1556525966/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240878204&sr=1-1

The box set is rumored to be on Rhino as well as a re-release deluxe version of CB's "I Am The Cosmos".

Thom_Starzer
 BSR Member

View ProfileE-Mail
(Reply #8 on: 04/27/09 at 23:39:52)

Thank you, Rhett. Couldn't find anything on the Rhino website, but that probably doesn't mean anything...Hopefully..
I will pray for it to magically appear !

"Thommo"

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
(Reply #9 on: 04/30/09 at 11:41:49)

on 04/27/09 at 23:39:52, Thom_Starzer wrote:
Thank you, Rhett. Couldn't find anything on the Rhino website, but that probably doesn't mean anything...Hopefully..
I will pray for it to magically appear !

"Thommo"
read quoted post

Yeah - you won't find it on the Rhino website yet. Like I said "rumored" to be put out by Rhino. We won't know until we see it.

tron
 BSR Member

View Profile
(Reply #10 on: 05/20/09 at 13:41:41)

so Big Star box set is set for Sep 15 release date according to John Fry.  Bruce Eaton, author of the new 33 1/3 Radio City book, confirmed it on his blog bigstarbook.blogspot.com  Haven't gotten the book yet, should be getting one soon tho.

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
(Reply #11 on: 05/25/09 at 19:30:31)

very good info and check this site: http://blurt-online.com/news/view/2303/

Percy
 BSR Member

View Profile
(Reply #12 on: 05/26/09 at 02:34:13)

As a long time Big Star fan the box set is exciting news.  Loved the "Thank You Friends" compilation of Ardent recordings.  Bruce Eaton's book on Radio City is excellent due to his access to the band members and his understanding of the music.

I would like to thank John Fry for his golden ears.  I have listened to a lot of music over the years and I have never heard acoustic guitars sound as good as they do on #1 Record especially "Watch the Sunrise".

Percy
 BSR Member

View Profile
(Reply #13 on: 05/26/09 at 02:35:02)

As a long time Big Star fan the box set is exciting news.  Loved the "Thank You Friends" compilation of Ardent recordings.  Bruce Eaton's book on Radio City is excellent due to his access to the band members and his understanding of the music.

I would like to thank John Fry for his golden ears.  I have listened to a lot of music over the years and I have never heard acoustic guitars sound as good as they do on #1 Record especially "Watch the Sunrise".

tron
 BSR Member

View Profile
(Reply #14 on: 05/26/09 at 12:35:06)

also there's a newly remastered #1 Record / Radio City coming out on June 16 with two bonus tracks - single versions of In the Street and O My Soul.  So much Big Star to buy this year!  I wonder how different hte remastering will sound

Rhett
 BSR Moderator
 BSR Super Gold Member

View Profile
(Reply #15 on: 05/26/09 at 15:45:32)

on 05/26/09 at 12:35:06, tron wrote:
also there's a newly remastered #1 Record / Radio City coming out on June 16 with two bonus tracks - single versions of In the Street and O My Soul. So much Big Star to buy this year! I wonder how different hte remastering will sound
read quoted post

do you think the remastering will suffer from the loudness war?

Pages: 1 Reply Notify of replies Print 
Jump to:

Big Star Reference Home